Queensland Railways - 1720 Class - HO Scale
CLYDE Diesel Electric Locomotive 1720 Class
Also manufactured at Rocklea Queensland by ComEng Qld for Clyde Engineering, beginning in 1966, there were 56 of these little rockets produced, which also serviced the entire state, transporting all range of goods and passengers. Primarily built to serve the Brisbane suburban services, due the to withdrawal of steam, at a slightly heavier 61 tons, they were the first locos to use the larger GM 645 series supercharged V8 engine of 999 horsepower, and featured a modified quick start control system which allowed for a faster getaway on the suburban services. As a result of this they were nicknamed by some as "Jets". Auto couplers were fitted from new. Quite a few were exported to other countries while some still exist with preservation and tourist operations within the state. There were a number of variations of colour schemes with at least 5 being sported in Queensland alone, including the spectacular green/white/yellow Bicentenary livery worn by 1723 and a number of other QR locos of the time, for a number of years. (Nicknamed the "Egg and Lettuce" livery.) Loco 1770 was the only "named" loco in this class, named "James Cook", in honour of Captain Cook.